As dog owners, we want only the best for our dogs. So, we continue to search for foods that will be nutritious for them. There are wide choices of healthy dog food, or you may find some foods intended for people that are also beneficial for pets. The following are healthy foods for dogs.
1. Dog food. It should be common knowledge to dog owners that dog food is supposed to contain the right amount of proteins, vitamins, and fats. Each component is recommended to be included in the diet at varying levels dependent on the age of the dog.
Generally, there should be more proteins, followed by vitamins and the least amount of fats. Proteins will be helpful in the development as well as repair of their muscles. There are several vitamins and each has its own positive effects. Lastly, minimal amount of fat is necessary to maintain body heat.
In feeding your dogs, make sure that there are no grains present or included in the ingredients. Grains can make your dog develop allergies which may create harmful effects to their skin or to their gastrointestinal tract.
2. Salmon. Salmon is good for humans and it is also good for dogs. Cooked salmon can be served independently or with another healthy food item.
Aside from abundant amount of proteins, salmon contains omega 3 fatty acid which is as beneficial for dogs as they are for humans.
3. Yogurt. There may be some dogs that are not able to tolerate milk and develop diarrhea or other related gastrointestinal discomfort after ingestion. However, there may be some that can take them without experiencing such effects.
One dairy product which is helpful for dogs is yogurt. This product is rich in calcium and protein. And when you are getting one for your pet, do make sure that they do not contain sugars or any other artificial sweeteners. Also, it is better if you can find those that have probiotics.
4. Pumpkin. If you have some time, you can cook a simple pumpkin meal for your dog. Pumpkin is good for your dog as it has substantial amounts of fiber and beta carotene. Fiber will be helpful in developing better digestion. Beta carotene, as a Vitamin A source, will be beneficial for your dog’s eyesight.
5. Eggs. These are one of the best sources of proteins and your dogs will surely benefit from them. Protein components from eggs are one of the easiest to digest. Eggs also contain Vitamin B6 and selenium. A few servings of cooked eggs in a week will have great effects to prevent occurrence of abdominal discomfort for your dog.
6. Apples. Apples contain vitamins, minerals and fiber. Just don’t include the apple seed when feeding your dogs.
If you are not sure about the possible effects of changing your pet’s diet, it is wise for you to consult a veterinarian.